Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pumpkin pie

South Africans cook with pumpkin a lot. But to my great surprise, none of my coworkers had ever tried a pumpkin pie!

I had to rectify this.

I went to two different grocery stores. Neither of them had pumpkin puree or pie crust. Nor did any of the employees know what either of these things were.

"A pie..." (extended pause) "crust???"

"Yeah, you know, like the shell of a pie."

In both grocery stores they led me to the premade pies section. I said, "no no, a just the crust" in the second store.

The man acted like he finally understood, walked me around the store and then back to the same pie section.

Nice try, Themba!

In store number three they had both pie crusts (apparently they're called "puff pastry" here) and canned pumpkin puree with both sugar and cinnimon already mixed in.

There must be other pumpkin pie makers in this country.

Viola! I made two pies and celebrated the only day white people were nice to the Native Americans with my friends.

I promise to blog more about racial inequality soon.

No comments:

Custom Search