Saturday, August 18, 2007

My First Home Dinner Invitation

My culture book said that it is common for German families to invite people over for dinner. On Friday, my colleague Matthias gave me my first such invitation.

He lives in a cute residential neighborhood near Siegburg...

...with his wife and three young children. The evening was very casual. We ate pizza bagles and salad. Embarrassingly, Matthias' seven-year-old daughter spoke English better than I spoke German.

After dinner the kids gave us a gymnastics show in the basement, and we all had ice cream. Matthias and his wife have invited over several employees from my company, because they said they want their children to learn that people from other countries are not scary or bad.

Before I left, Matthias' daughter gave me a picture that I think is supposed to be me, although I don't remember wearing a flowered shirt.

2 comments:

jeanetteevans said...

Wow! The picture is the greatest. :-) What a talented artist and wonderful family. :-)

Mary said...

Great picture! Nice blog. Who is Joel?

Custom Search