Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Nice lights

One of the nice things about Germany is that the men do not catcall. You could walk down the street in a bathing suit, and no one would say anything to you.

The closest thing I have had to a catcall occured last Saturday night. I was stopped at a red light on my bike, and a middle-aged man pulled up next to me in his car. He started saying something in German.

"Ich verstehe nicht" (I don't understand), I told him.

"The lights on your bike are excellent," he said. "I could see you all the way from the end of the street."

Granted, there are a lot of bikers in my neighborhood. And it can be dangerous if you can't see them at night. But this man's comment was so innocent and so German. He genuinely just wanted to convey his admiration for the lights on my bike.

1 comment:

Norman Henry Pentelovitch said...

SMAAAASHA! I owe you emails!! How are things? This is the least likely forum in which to receive a response! Yay for efficiency and very tirednessosity!

Yahoo!

-Norm!

Custom Search