Friday, October 12, 2007

Dear Wei Wei

In preparation for our trip to Russia, here are translations for the words you requested (spelled phonetically in the Latin alphabet). Mom, please flag any mistakes.

Hello---ZDRAA-stvee-tyea
Thank you---Spaa-SEE-ba
Excuse me---Eez-vee-NEET-yea menya
Sorry---Eez-vee-NEET-yea
You are pretty/cute---Thui do-VOL-no/seem-pat-EE-nuy
How much---Na-SKOL-ka?
How long---Kak DOL-go?
I am sick---Ya BO-lin.
The hospital---Bol-NEE-tsa
Soup---Soop
I can't speak Russian---Ya nee ga-va-ROO pah ROO-skee
Ladies' room---Twah-LYET
I love Russia---Ya LOO-bit Roo-SEE-ya
Airport---aai-roh-PORT
Taxi---Tak-SEE
Putin is cool---Pooteen (nye) ho-LOD-no!
Postcard---Poch-ta ot-KRUT-ka
China---Far-FOR (not sure about this one)
Hong Kong airport---Gon-kong ai-roh-PORT
E-mail---el-ek-TRO-ne-ya POCH-ta
We are tourists---Mee to-REE-stee

Two more I added:
I speak a little Russian - Ya ga-va-ROO nyem-NO-GO pah ROO-skee.
My family is from Russia - Mo-YA sem-YA ot Rossee

P.S. Your blog is so much better than mine is. "If I had to pick one word to describe Ms. Wei wei, I would say that she is very very enchanting."

1 comment:

Lisa Zachary said...

Cleveland? That sounds like such a magical, mysterious place. Oh, you and your travels. I am so jealous.

Custom Search