Sunday, August 26, 2007

I don't mean to be morbid...

but there is this really beautiful cemetary in my neighborhood.


I have marveled at it several times passing by, but this was the first time I actually went in.

At first I felt like a trespasser, like my taking photographs was somehow dishonoring the deceased. But then I remembered how at the Rheinisch Landesmuseum, there were extensive exhibits on the burial rituals of ancient societies. This was my own anthropoligical study on how the Germans honor their dead.


The gravestones were all very different. Some were tall, others covered most of the legnth of the burial plot. All of the sites had not just flowers, but landscaping - bright, tropical flower beds, complex ornaments and shrubbery. Each site had somewhere on it a small, lit candle.

No comments:

Custom Search