Friday, September 21, 2007

I went to Koblenz and Dusseldorf last weekend

The rivalry between Dusseldorf and Cologne is funny. My flatmate from Cologne genuinely got angry with me when I told him I was going to Dusseldorf. I spent most of the day walking along the Rhine.

At Koblenz there was a cute little street fair (with spectacularly awful Renaissance fair music and American cover bands), as well as lots of old castles and churches, and a nice view from where the Rhine and Mosel rivers connect called Deutsches Eck. Eck means corner.

On the train ride back from Koblenz, a group of about 15 elderly men sat next to me and Lenka. Soon into our journey they began uncorking numerous bottles of wine. Each of them had a little wine glass that they carried in a leather case around their necks. When we looked over to see what all the clinking and laughter was about, they quickly approached us and hung drink glass necklaces around our necks. They had just returned from a weeklong visit to the Mosel Valley, which is famous for its Riesling wines.

By the end of the trip, they laughed at how much more willing we had become to speak German after a few glasses of wine.

No comments:

Custom Search