Sunday, September 23, 2007

My hair is black

I went to one of the few hair salons in Bonn open past 1pm Saturday. It was a local chain called Unisex. I walked in and there was loud techno music playing. Every hairdresser had black and/or red spiked hair and lots of piercings. They danced and waved around their scissors as they cut people's hair. It looked like the floor had not been swept all day.

As soon as I sat down, a DJ got on the turntables next to me. I had to yell over him in broken German to let my hairdresser know what I wanted: "2" "zentimeter" (scissor motion). "Haar" "same" (point to 1-inch roots).

They showed me a hair sample that was really dark. I told them I thought that was not right. So then an "English speaking hairdresser" came over to translate.

He and I arrived at a conclusion that I found acceptable: "Hair according to my nature." I let him dye away.

When he took off the towel, my hair was jet black. "It's really dark," I said.

"Ja sure, that's just because it's wet." But then he dried it, and it was still black.

"This is not my natural color," I told him.

"Yes it is."

"I'm pretty sure it isn't," I said.

"Oh no, it is."

"I don't want it this dark," I told him.

"Oh don't worry. It is just temporary," he told me. "In a few weeks, it will be back to your natural hair."

3 comments:

karin said...

Now a picture?

Unknown said...

agreed a picture is necessary and the dialogue between you and the hairdresser is priceless....like the time you informed the robber he was confused...hahaha great great great!

Unknown said...

agreed a picture is necessary and the dialogue between you and the hairdresser is priceless....like the time you informed the robber he was confused...hahaha great great great!

Custom Search